Subject: Re: Alphaserver 1000 4/233 and graphic display problems
To: None <mikaeld@online.no>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/21/2000 20:34:25
On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 11:30:55AM +0100, mikaeld@online.no wrote:

> So : is it possible to install NetBSD on the AS 1000 with another
> graphics card (PCI) at all ? If so, must the onboard adapter be disabled
> properly first (as opposed to the machine doing that automatically) ?
> Unfortunately we don't have any documentation on the SRM commands, and
> none of the links on the web I have found helps. There is an exe-fil on
> the Compaq-site which is supposed to expand to a sevice manual. But the
> exe-file will not execute, so there...

From the AS1000 service manual:

Using a VGA Controller Other than the Standard On-Board VGA
When the system is configured to use a PCI- or EISA-based VGA controller
instead of the standard on-board VGA (CIRRUS), consider the following:
° The on-board CIRRUS VGA options must be set to disabled through the
ECU.
° The VGA jumper (J27) on the upper-left corner of the motherboard must
then
be set to disable (off).
° The console environment variable should be set to graphics.
° If there are multiple VGA controllers, the system will direct console
output to
the first controller it finds.

Hope this helps.

W/