Subject: Alphaserver 1000 4/233 and graphic display problems
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <mikaeld@online.no>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/21/2000 11:30:55
Hi!

I am trying to install NetBSD on an old Alphaserver 1000 4/233.
This is the mikasa, right ?

Using the onboard graphics adapter, the installation bombs out some
time into the second boot diskette with the message :

"panic: no pci_display_console on 0/0/0"

I have searched news and earlier posts on this mailing list, which
indicate that this message means that the graphic "card" is not
supported. One option is using a serial console, but since the
intention is to use the machine as some kind of workstation I don't
want to go that route.

NetBSD on an Alphaserver 1000A installed OK. It seems this machine does
not have an integrated grahics adapter on the motherboard. The machine
was equipped with an S3 Trio 64+ PCI card.

I tried using this card on the AS 1000 to no avail. The SRM console
used the new card, but it seems it didn't help NetBSD, it bombed out
with the same error message as above.

So : is it possible to install NetBSD on the AS 1000 with another
graphics card (PCI) at all ? If so, must the onboard adapter be disabled
properly first (as opposed to the machine doing that automatically) ?
Unfortunately we don't have any documentation on the SRM commands, and
none of the links on the web I have found helps. There is an exe-fil on
the Compaq-site which is supposed to expand to a sevice manual. But the
exe-file will not execute, so there...

If anyone has any clue to how to get NetBSD up and running, I would
really appreciate to hear you. If it at this time is not possible to
use the machine as an X workstation, I would like to hear that to.

----
73 de Mikael Dalsgard
	NOW is the only thing that is real