Subject: Re: DEC 21142 Ethernet not working at 100Mb/S
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.lila.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/2000 13:21:41
Wilko,

You wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 02:52:35AM -0800, Hal Murray wrote:
> > Are you sure they are identical?
> >
> > I think there are two separate small cards that mount on the back
> > of the machine and hold the media chip and connectors.  Check your
> > system to make sure it looks like the other one.
>
> Correct. There is one card with BNC/AUI connectors that allows 10base*
only.
> The other one only has a RJ45 plug for 10baseT and 100baseT. The latter
card
> is connected to a different connector (via a different model cable) to the
> PCI riser card in the bottom half of the cabinet.

Hmm.  The card on the back has a RJ45 plug _and_ a BNC connector.
I don't see any AUI connector, though.

> > Another way that might help is to do something like
>
> Which only works for the right card, a 10base*-only card will not allow
> setting to 100base*

I tried changing ewa0_mode from the SRM console and it gave me the
following options:

     twisted-pair
     twisted-pair (full duplex)
     BNC
     AUI (I don't see an AUI port on the back of the machine)
     Fast
     FastFD (full duplex)
     Auto-Detect

If I set the mode to Auto-Detect, it comes back and says the mode is not
supported and defaults to twisted-pair.  If I set the mode to Fast, the
command succeeds, but the link light on my hub remains out (both the
10baseT light and the 100baseT light).  If I boot the machine in Fast
mode, NetBSD claims that the de0 device is in "autodetect" mode and
presently set to 10baseT.

Although my friend and I purchased the machines from the same person
just a few weeks apart, it sounds like I may have received one with a
different ethernet setup.

> Wilko (who has done such an upgrade himself)

What do I need to do the upgrade, and is the cost comparable to just
buying another supported PCI ethernet card that runs at 100baseT?

Thanks for all the helpful replies on this subject!

--
Bill Dorsey