Subject: Re: ti0: can't map memory space
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/16/2000 07:44:21
On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 02:52:03PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I just put a netgear GA620 gigabit ethernet adapter in my DS20 (running a fresh
 > -current), and at boot it's probed as:
 > ti0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: can't map memory space
 >
 > I tried 2 different PCI slot (didn't try the 4 others :)
 > Any idea of how to solve this ? This box isn't in production yet, I can
 > experiment. The same board works fine in a PC with kernel build from same
 > sources works fine, but I got this board for the alpha ...

This is a known problem.  Basically, the `ti' driver isn't properly
bus_space'd; the access to the card shared memory is done via direct
access to structs.

I was going to fix this, but I changed jobs and no longer have access to
the cards.  One thing that's going to definitely need fixing is the implied
bus space barriers that bus_space_{read,write}_*() currently do.  It's nice
to have implied barriers in some cases, not in others.  A fix for this is
fairly straight-forward.

I would like to work on it, and will be able to hack on it here and there.
Would you be willing to test patches for me?

FWIW, it would work on a DS20 if you kludge a few things, because the DS20's
PCI memory space is not sparse (it's a BWX-capable space).

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>