Subject: Re: egcs-1.1.1 complains about -mcpu=ev56
To: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/11/2000 10:33:20
> You must tell the assembler that it should produce code for your cpu as
> well. I agree, the compiler should really do this automatically...

"fixed in -current".

src/gnu/dist/gcc/config/alpha/netbsd.h, rev 1.11 has the fix:

revision 1.11
date: 1999/12/03 06:37:47;  author: thorpej;  state: Exp;  lines: +11 -1
Pass in the appropriate machine directive to the assembler if an -mcpu=...
option is given to the compiler.  It's silly to have to specify it twice
on a command line (e.g. -mcpu=ev56 -Wa,-mev56), especially considering
that if you don't, and the compiler emits e.g. a BWX instruction, the
assembler will treat it as a macro, open-coding an equivalent, which can
have some serious unwanted side-effects in some situations.

Also, don't treat e.g. 21164 and ev5 as equivalent; the assembler treats
them differently: 21164 enables PALcode-only instructions, while ev5 does not.

					- Bill