Subject: Re: interaction between tlp0 and isp0 causes panic
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/09/2000 19:34:38
On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 07:27:56PM -0800, Erik Fair wrote:

 > One more data point then: I moved the DE500-BA (21143-PC) and the
 > QLC1020 cards around a few times to different PCI slots (32-bit,
 > 64-bit, etc) to see if that made any difference - no soap.
 >
 > I've also tried using the older de* driver, and it gives the same
 > results: "master abort". (hmm, smells like hardware).

...or firmware.

 > Then I changed out the DE500-BA for a no-name 4-port 10/100 card with
 > an Intel (DEC) 21152 PCI bridge to four Intel (DEC) 21143 ethernet
 > chips, with PHYs that we don't recognize explicitly (ukphy* matches),
 > and Lo! Everything works.

Right, that's probably because the bridge is breaking up the DMA
bursts into smaller chunks anyway, thus avoiding the problem altogether.

 > While I've got your attention, there is one other thing that it seems
 > both the tlp* and de* drivers don't quite get right with the DE500:
 > Nway negotiation with a 10/100 FDX switch (in this case a NetGear
 > FS524). SRM also produces some pretty funky results.

This is because the switch is broken (doesn't do NWAY properly).  There's
not much that can be done about it.  I've already discussed this on
tech-net.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>