Subject: Re: New snapshot available
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/29/2000 23:43:44
On February 27, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> I've uploaded a new snapshot in:
>
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/snapshot/20000226/
>
> Shar and enjoy.
>
> (I'll upload a PCMCIA-enabled kernel tomorrow.)

  I just tried this snapshot on my AS1000.  I've got a DEFEA FDDI
adapter in an EISA slot (properly configured with the ECU).  It
appears that the kernel distributed with this snapshot has some sort
of problem initializing the DEFEA...Here's what happens with this
kernel:

------------------------------------
de0: address 08:00:2b:e6:4c:60
eisa0 at pceb0
fea0 at eisa0 slot 5: DEC DEFEA EISA FDDI SAS Controller
fea0: FDDI address 08:00:2b:a3:77:a5, FW=2.1 , HW=1, SMT V7.2
fea0: FDDI Port = S (PMD = ANSI Single-Mode Type 1)
Warning: received processor correctable error.

fatal kernel trap:

    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
    a0         = 0x255b455c3d465338
    a1         = 0x1
    a2         = 0xffffffffffffffff
    pc         = 0x255b455c3d465338
    ra         = 0xfffffc00004f9b18
    curproc    = 0xfffffc0000a42730
        pid = 0, comm = swapper

panic: trap

fatal kernel trap:

    trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
    a0         = 0x4a5b455c485b455c
    a1         = 0x1
    a2         = 0xffffffffffffffff
    pc         = 0x4a5b455c485b455c
    ra         = 0xfffffc00004fa0c4
    curproc    = 0xfffffc0000a42730
        pid = 0, comm = swapper

panic: trap
halted.

halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = fffffc0000300118

------------------------------------

  And here's the relevant parts of the 1.4.1 distribution kernel
configuring the same system:

de0: address 08:00:2b:e6:4c:60
eisa0 at pceb0
fea0 at eisa0 slot 5: DEC DEFEA EISA FDDI SAS Controller
fea0: FDDI address 08:00:2b:a3:77:a5, FW=2.1 , HW=1, SMT V7.2
fea0: FDDI Port = S (PMD = ANSI Single-Mode Type 1)
fea0: using iomem 0xc0000-0xc7fff
fea0: interrupting at isa irq 10
isa0 at pceb0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console

  ...and all is well on the system.  Am I overlooking something here,
or is their some sort of fuckage with the later kernels?  Later
tonight I'll try to boot the cdhdtape image from the previous snapshot
and see if that exhibits the same behavior.  If there's anything else
I should try, or any other information I might be able to provide,
please let me know.

                 -Dave McGuire