Subject: Re: Audio on PWS433a
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/29/2000 11:25:10
On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:16:38 -0800
 "R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org> wrote:

 > >     sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
 > >     audio0 at sb0: half duplex
 > >     opl at sb0 not configured
 > >     sb: can't map i/o space 0x220/24 in probe
 > >
 > >Any applications which attempt to use the audio device fail to run properly
 > >(most notably, my mpeg audio player).  However, the keyboard beep does
 > >seem to work.  Has anyone else seen this and come up with a workaround?
 >
 > Being the friend mentioned above I was thinking that this might
 > have something to do with the Pyxis chipset bug (which this machine
 > does have) and its interaction with ISA DMA (sb0 being the only
 > ISA device on the system which does DMA.)

Well, the floppy drive also does DMA.  But this error would not be
caused by the Pyxis DMA bugs.

NetBSD 1.5 should have the Pyxis DMA bugs fixed... but in any case...

Bill ... I'm guessing that you live in San Francisco (considering that
you're friends w/ Roland, and I used to live only a few blocks from him
until I moved to my new place by UCSF :-) ... maybe we could get together
and debug the problems on these pesky Pyxis systems once and for all :-)