Subject: signal 11 errors on 1.4.2_ALPHA
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/2000 20:34:28
Hello,

On my Multia with 1.4.2_ALPHA I am unable to complete a make build, as
eventually I'll get:
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

This is with a GENERIC kernel.  If I boot a 1.4T GENERIC kernel and
use the 1.4.2_ALPHA userland, the make build completes without any
problems.  Has an internal kernel limit changed that cc1 is bumping
up against?  Or is this more likely bad memory or something?

I suspect it is related to the SRM console though, as I recently updated
my SRM to the V4.5-819 mentioned WRT running VMS.  NetBSD failed to boot
with this version (cache errors in 'ncr', and DMA(?) errors with 'de')
installed.  I then realized I was running an interim release (V4.5-780?)
that I didn't have anymore. :(  Stupid me.  Anyway, so now I am running
the "BLT5 V3.8-3" that is available from the DEC ftp site.  It has a number
of problems compared to the newer versions, but boots ok from dka0.

So, I guess I have two questions:
	Is the 1.4.2_ALPHA .vs. 1.4T issue likely to be the kernel, the SRM,
	or my hardware?

	Has anyone had any success using SRM V4.5-819 with NetBSD?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.