Subject: Re: cd-rw
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/2000 19:46:08
On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 10:05:10PM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:
> > Works just fine. Only odd thing is that if I dd a CD in the burner to
> > a file, the drive fails to stop reading at the end of the CD, returning
> > garbage or whatever to the dd process which will never stop.
> >
> > I can dd just fine in my RRD43, so it's not so much a big deal.
>
> raw device, or block device?

Both raw and block work fine in my RRD43.

On my Yamaha 6416S the raw fails with dd giving me error "Invalid
argument". When I dd from the block device it never stops after
the end of the disk. I haven't examined the extra data to see if it's
random gunk or blank or what.

This is on an AlphaStation 200 on ncr0 running on 1.4.1.

"She's a sonic magician."     Ross Smith really likes Ani Difranco.
                                                   April 22 1999 2:14am