Subject: Re: DPWS500/Pyxis bugs, corrupt memory etc.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/22/2000 23:51:21
On Sat 05 Feb 2000 at 16:36:55 -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> ...but it should stop the major issue of corrupted file system data,
> at least.

Since I just bought a

wd0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <IBM-DPTA-353750>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 35772MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 73261440 sectors
wd0: 32-bits data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4

I applied this patch on my 1.4.1 kernel sources. Unfortunately, as soon
as I did a disklabel wd0, I got a "memory management fault" or something
like that, so I backed it out again. Maybe it was because ithe patch did
not apply cleanly, or not all required files were really recompiled, or
something. Instead, for now I just disabled ide dme completely, and that
seems to work fine. At some point I'll switch to 1.4.2 anyway, and I'll
try -current too.

wd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4

Of course I'd rather have used an UW scsi disk, but slightly more money
would have gotten me about half the storage space.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)