Subject: Re: Alpha assembly question...
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/18/2000 10:24:38
On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 09:18:59AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Allen Briggs wrote:
>
> : > Anyway, I made it this far in getting Postgres to run:
> : > [...]
> : > FATAL: s_lock(20318030) at spin.c:114, stuck spinlock. Aborting.
> :
> : That's as far as I got, too.  I haven't gotten back to it.  I
> : was suspecting LP64 bugs when I last looked at it.  Does anyone
> : know if it really runs on Tru64/OSF or Linux/alpha?
>
> No, it does not.  Search AltaVista for "+alpha +linux +postgresql"--it's
> littered with LP64 breakage.

I disagree with the statement that it doesn't work.

It works well enough to store data, retrieve data, and subset on
data. I did find that psql can't list the columns in tables that
I create, but that's not an issue for me personally since I
just need to get my project for my E-Commerce class up and running.

For a demonstration see http://csc.neutralgood.org/ (knowing that
it's a fake company for a college class). The "catalog" is served
dynamically out of a Postgres database using Python and
py-postgresql for access.

I did implement database failover (I'm hedging my bets - the
other db is running on a borrowed PC that I might have to give back
very soon) and load balancing, but it's still hitting the Postgres
database on NetBSD/Alpha at least some of the time.

"In feeling small you gain the info you need."
     Ross Smith, on humility                        Apr 22 1999 2:22am