Subject: X + vga
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/17/2000 14:27:19
Since I think the lack of X support for VGA cards in NetBSD/alpha is
losing it users, I want to bring this subject up again.

I know about the objections to XFree86, it is a giant, suid binary
doing things that make you cringe, but it's the best their is right
now. Maybe someday something better will come along, but who knows
how long this will take and if it'll ever happen.

It has been quiet on this front for a while. Andrew van der Stock
was looking into it, but ran into some toolchain problems and out
of time. Simon Burge mentioned that he might look into it, but
I haven't seen anything about that.

Maybe people who want to work on this or have done something
already can share all that they know about getting it to work,
so that, say, a webpage about it can be constructed. Who is
or was looking into this, knows something about it or wants
to look into it? It doesn't seem like that much work, but
I don't know much about the details.

- Frank