Subject: Re: raidframe hiccups in 1.4S
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2000 09:09:40
"Aaron J. Grier" writes:
> sources supped 2000-02-11  (+/- one day)
>
> savecore: reboot after panic: vwakeup: neg numoutput

What does a traceback give? ('where', in GDB)

> I finally knuckled down and wrote a script to help me figure out the
> ideal sectors per stripe unit which does this:  (this crash came up
> while trying to mount a newly configured raid.)
>
> changes /etc/raid0.conf
> runs raidctl -c
> changes the disklabel and formats if necessary
> mounts the raid, runs bonnie, unmounts the raid
> runs raidctl -u
>
> I'm compiling a new kernel (and raid configuration tools) as I type and
> will provide any interested parties in my hackish bourne shell script
> which performs the above...
>
> I'm also interested in input for configuring raids...  (ISTR Greg Oster
> having this discussion on -current a while back, but can't seem to find
> the magic rules for RAIDFrame configuration.)  I would normally think
> that four disks could get more throughput than one, but I can't seem to
> get more than 65% of the block output or 91% of the block input for the
> raid compared to a single disk in the raid.  Seeks are another story --
> I'm getting 123% more seeks... but the block input disturbs me.

You havn't said what the config file looks like, but I'm guessing your
'sectors per stripe unit' (sectPerSU) value may be too high.  You also havn't
said what RAID level you're running, the types of disks, the phase of the
moon, etc. :)  More info is needed before I can provide useful suggestions...

Later...

Greg Oster