Subject: Re: More news from my ds20
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2000 13:54:33

> So my guess here is that our NCR driver doesn't work with the storageworks
> devices, I'm not sure the reason. One strange thing is that I get these
> messages:
> probe(ncr1:0:x): extraneous data discarded.
> probe(ncr1:0:x): COMMAND FAILED (9 80) @0xfffffe0000128c00.
> only for 0 <= x <= 7. Targets 8 to 15 looks fine. I'll try moving the internal
> disk to a higther target if possible (I'm not sure, I need to read the
> docs first).
> With more though these messages looks familiar, I think I've seen them on
> my small alpha (I think it's a AXPpci33, it's really slow) when reboot it.
> A poweroff/poweron usually fix the problem. I may also have seen them a couple
> of time on a PC.

It's becomming weird: I installed NetBSD on the external drive, and when
rebooting from it I noticed that the GEENRIC kernel from the snapshot doesn't
have problems talking to the storageworks drive. So I installed NetBSD on it
from the system on the external drive, and now I'm running -current from
the storageworks without troubles.