Subject: Re: cd-rw
To: Todd Cohen <cohentl@lizard.price.clarkson.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2000 22:58:44
On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:29:36PM -0500, Todd Cohen wrote:
> Anyone ever try using an external scsi cd-rw? I'm thinking about buying a
> yamaha 4416SXZ and am wondering if it works in NetBSD on Alphas.. what
> software is available to use?

I've got a Yamaha 6416S (external) on my AlphaStation 200 4/233.

I use mkisofs to make filesystem images. I use cdrecord (both out of
/usr/pkg) to actually burn the images.

Works just fine. Only odd thing is that if I dd a CD in the burner to
a file, the drive fails to stop reading at the end of the CD, returning
garbage or whatever to the dd process which will never stop.

I can dd just fine in my RRD43, so it's not so much a big deal.

I just got my burner at Christmas, and I've got about a dozen disks
that I've burned so far. It works well.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.