Subject: Re: Spam source located
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2000 00:02:59
In message <3.0.5.32.20000214215405.0095d510@mail.bluefeathertech.com>, Bruce L
ane writes:
>	The source of the spam to our list (which hit earlier this evening) has
>been located. It came through what appears to be a dedicated link at
>psi.net, and was illegally relayed through an open server in Japan that is
>listed in the ORBS (Open Relay Blocking Service) database as being wide
>open to spammer abuse.

FWIW, be aware that ORBS occasionally lists hosts which are not relays.
They generally come back as 127.0.0.4, which means that they did something
that pissed off the ORBS admins.  That said, this one looks to have been
open.

Perhaps someone should suggest using the RBL and/or RSS (the MAPS-run
relay list, very nice) as input filters on the NetBSD mailing lists?

-s