Subject: MVI extention in 21164PC
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/06/2000 22:07:11
Hi!

I'm interrested in using the MVI instruction set extention of my 21164PC
CPU. Unfortunately, the CPU doesn't report that it supports these
instructions using the "amask" instruction, nor does it accept the
actual instructions - instead I get an illegal instruction signal to my
program.

After some experiments involving Linux, I've concluded something is setup
differently in the SRM versus in AlphaBIOS. When Linux is run under
AlphaBIOS the instructions appear and when run in SRM they don't. NetBSD
doesn't run on AlphaBIOS, so I can't use the instructions. Is there any
way around this problem - can I "enable" the instructions by hand
somehow?

Thank you.

  Andreas