Subject: Re: DPWS500/Pyxis bugs, corrupt memory etc.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/03/2000 18:05:34
On Tue 01 Feb 2000 at 09:54:02 -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>  > The de driver for the 21143 has to be set in 100baseTX mode on a 10baseT
>  > lan.
>
> Gack, this is a lame bug.  I'll see what I can do to fix that (oh, please
> pity me...)

I also noticed that already, not sure if I posted about it, maybe only
as a side remark...

>  > And if you have IDE disable dma. I just commented out a small block in
>  > pciide.c.  Perhaps some one could add a config value to disable IDE DMA.
>  > A note about this in the faq would be good too.
>
> Well, technically, this is a bug.  A bug which should be fixed.  I'll
> probably ask you to test stuff for me :-)
>
> Out of curiosity, do you know if FreeBSD and Linux are using DMA for
> the IDE controller on your system?

But my cdrom drive seems to use IDE DMA... (PWS 433a), or am I misled by
the last message? I never noticed any trouble with it.

pciide0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0: CMD Technology PCI0646
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 0
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6102B, 7800327909, 1106> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bits data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 2
pciide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
pciide0: disabling secondary channel (no drives)
cd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1 (using DMA data transfers)

Oh, and of the various cd rippers, cdparanoia is the only one that seems
to handle this cd. I thought maybe the others (cdd and tosha) got
confused by the possibly incomplete fake SCSI of atapi.

>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)