Subject: Glitches with Personal Workstations...
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/29/2000 01:33:25
A week or so ago, Ken Hornstein reported that he couldn't get a -500
off the ground.  The display turned to garbage.  I can reproduce
that with 1.4.2_ALPHA on a -600au.  The trash starts just after the
CIA0 messages.

I also tried 1.4.2_ALPHA on a -600 without a display.  It goes through
the startup sequence, then hangs after asking me what type of display
I have.  I asked about this back in early Jan.  I don't remember
any response to that one.  (That same message also described problems
with the latest snapshot.  There were replies to that - bad hair
day for the isp driver.)

I just tried the Jan-05 snapshot.  It calls itself 1.4P.

On a -600 without a display, I tried to setup the network before
I touched the disk.  sysinst terminated after saying it couldn't
create /etc/resolv.conf.  Is that likely to work if I do a full install
and wait for sysinst to setup networking?  [I'd prefer not to trash
the working disk.  I should probably find a spare one.]

On a -600 with a display, I get the same trashed screen as with 1.4.2_ALPHA.

I also tried both sets of floppies on an XP1000.

With 1.4.2_ALPHA, it formatted a disk but then I couldn't get the
builtin Tulip to do anything.  What options can I feed to the "media"
line at the network setup screen?  "auto" didn't work.  [I remember
having troubles here before.]

I think I really want to specify a mediaopt.  I used another NetBSD
system to check the man page for ifconfig.  It tells me to look in
the man page for de.  I don't have one.  I do have one for fxp and
fpa so I assume it's missing from NetBSD rather than I botched the
install.  I think the real info is in ifmedia(4).  The mediaopt section
of the ifconfig man page should probably mention it.

Is this a new version of the Tulip chip that the driver doesn't know
about?

Here is what Tru64 says on that machine:

  tu0: DECchip 21143: Revision: 4.1
  tu0: auto negotiation capable device tu0 at pci0 slot 3
  tu0: DEC TULIP (10/100) Ethernet Interface,
      hardware address: 08-00-2B-86-60-05
  tu0: auto negotiation on: will advertise 100BaseTX (UTP) port: full duplex

Here is what netBSD says on a Miata (which works):

  de0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0
  de0: interrupting at dec 550 irq 8
  de0: DEC 21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0
  de0: address 00:00:f8:76:2c:54

I'll setup a cable and capture the output if the info above isn't
enough.

Mumble.  This whole area is pretty confusing when it doesn't work
right, especially if you are having problems the first time you are
installing NetBSD.  I think a 1 or 2 line help message listing the
media options for ethernet would help a lot.  (Maybe only if you
are going around again?  Or maybe "? for help".)

I used another NetBSD system to check the man page for ifconfig.
It looks like I want to specify a mediaopt.  It tells me to look
in the man page for de.  That machine does't have one (NetBSD 1.4).
It does have one for fxp and fpa so I assume it's missing from NetBSD
rather than I botched the install.

Perhaps the real info is in ifmedia(4).  The mediaopt section of
the ifconfig man page should probably mention it.

I got curious and looked in the code for ifconfig.  It looks like
there are media terms like "100BaseTX" and "100TX" that should do
the right thing.  This supports the don't-know-about-this rev idea.

With 1.4P (Jan-05 snapshot), it hangs after printing
    ncr0: timeout ccb=0xfffffe00000a1000 (skip)
[Or I didn't wait long enough.]

I'll be glad to test things.  I have working 1.4 systems to stand
on.

------

PS: I got slightly confused looking in:
  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/

It has 3 snapshot directories:
  snapshot
  snapshot-19991107
  snapshot-19991204

snapshot contains one directory: 19991223

The link in www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/ (upper right, News, current
snapshot) goes to the 19991223 (sub) directory.  You can't see the
others from there and/or if you are up a level it's easy to miss
the latest one since the other 2 sort nicely by date and somewhat
hide it.