Subject: Re: Has anyone tried NetBSD on a 600au?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/20/2000 12:13:10
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> The floppies loaded fine, the kernel came up, but after printing about
> 3/4th a page of standard NetBSD boot messages (I think the last thing
> probed was sia0, but that could be wrong), the "Copyright" message
> (which is now about 5-8 lines from the top at this point) gets the "C"
> overwritten with a funky character, and everything just stops.  Pressing
> return causes other screen characters to be overwritten within the top
> 5-8 lines, but nothing else happens.
>
> I see from the mailing list archives that the 500au works fine; anyone
> have any luck on the 600au?  The machine runs DU/Tru64/whatever it's
> called today/ just fine.

  I was unable to get NetBSD booted on a 500au - the graphics board in
the machine I had does not work with NetBSD.  I think when it gets to the
graphics board configuration, the screen gets wierd characters and nothing
appears to happen after that.

  I was going to try booting with a serial console, but never managed to
try that before the machines were put into production use.  [I can
probably try booting NetBSD on one of them again sometime though, so
perhaps I will try it with a serial console.]

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant