Subject: Re: Kernel Debugging / kgdb support
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/14/2000 16:48:52
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:23:25 -0800 (PST)
 Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com> wrote:

 > >  > Is there hope of this being fixed eventually, or are the trap frames
 > >  > processor-variant-specific (which would make this more difficult, I
 > >  > assume)?
 > >
 > > It's possible to fix; look at alpha/alpha/db_trace.c.  Someone just has
 > > to do it.
 >
 > I dimly recall a recent mention of a ddb(4) traceback-over-trap problem.

Nonono.... I mean, look at db_trace.c -- it's possible to fix gdb :-)

 > Now, gdb is another story. It has no concept of trap frames,  and locore.s
 > has some hand stabs that, at one point, worked a bit, sometimes. It really
 > needs to be fixed in gdb. Unfortunately, the technique used by ddb(4)
 > doesn't translate well to gdb, but if anyone wants to work on it I will
 > spell out what's required.

Well... as long as GDB knows the value of the Xent* symbols... wouldn't that
work?  That is, in fact, how the DDB traceback used to work until you changed
it to just use a pointer to the entry points themselves.