Subject: locale library (was Re: Back in June...)
To: Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kaleb@ics.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/08/2000 02:27:38
Hi, I'm sorry to be late to reply...

(Please use tech-userlevel@netbsd.org + bsd-locale@hauN.org for
 following up...)

	"Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com> said:

> ... I hacked up locale support based on FreeBSD's locale stuff, put a
> tar file of it called loc.tar.good in ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming,
> and posted news to that effect to these lists.

> Did anyone happen to save that tar file somewhere? If you did, could you
> make it available somewhere?

Takuya Shiozaki, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino and others are also hacking
locale libray which is originally based on FreeBSD's stuff, but
already far better than that. (Although there are many many missing
features, yet.)

The source can be obtained via anonymous cvs over ssh like follows:
	CVSROOT=anoncvs@sv.dsl.gr.jp:/citrus
	CVS_RSH=ssh
	export CVSROOT CVS_RSH
	cvs checkout xpg4dl
Could you check this?

Since this is a joint project for BSD/OS, NetBSD, FreeBSD and OpenBSD,
new English mailing list for this stuff, namely <bsd-locale@hauN.ORG>
is created recently. To subscribe this mailing list, please send a mail
which contains "subscribe YOUR FULL NAME" to bsd-locale-ctl@hauN.ORG.
From NetBSD, this can be done by:
	% echo 'subscribe YOUR FULL NAME' | Mail bsd-locale-ctl@hauN.ORG
Please note that you must supply your full name instead of
your mail address.
Mail archive of this mailing list can be found on the following URL:
	http://www.hauN.ORG/ml/b-l/
I think it is no problem to discuss NetBSD specific point of this
stuff on tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, but please use bsd-locale@hauN.org
about generic things.
(Both Takuya Shiozaki and Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino are subscribing
 tech-userlevel@netbsd.org)

If you'd like to get write-permission of this repository, please
ask it on the bsd-locale mailing-list.

There are numbers of problems to integrate this to NetBSD, though.
For example,
	- NetBSD has a problem to call dlopen()/dlsym()/... from
	  functions in libc. (FreeBSD doesn't have this particular
	  problem)
	- Native issetugid(2) system call is really needed, otherwise
	  very serious security flaw will appear. Since this library
	  loads user configurable shared object, this user
	  configuration feature should be avoided on setuid/setgid
	  executables by checking issetugid(2).
	- MB_LEN_MAX is increased to 32. This might introduce
	  binary compatibility problem, since almost all NetBSD ports
	  define MB_LEN_MAX==1 (alpha and mips defines MB_LEN_MAX==6).
	  Although quite few programs use this value.
	  (e.g. xlint is only program under the NetBSD's src directory.)
	- We have to consider how to extend FILE structure without
	  losing binary compatibilty.
	- and others...
--
soda