Subject: RE: compat_osf1 troubles with 1.4.1
To: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/02/2000 15:49:05
On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Tom Haapanen wrote:

> Oliver Frick wrote:
> > i think, its UFS. I mount the CD-ROM with
> > mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
> > (i have a SCSI-CDROM on SCSI-ID 4 / Alphaserver 800)
>
> Tried that just now ...
>
> stratos 136 # mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
> mount_ffs: /dev/cd0a on /mnt: incorrect super block
> stratos 137 #
>
> Either it doesn't like an IDE CD-ROM (or the old CD is incompatible with a
> new drive?), or my CD-ROM is damaged.

  If DEC did the same thing with the superblock as they did with Ultrix,
this may be due to a bug in the super block check.  Ultrix had unused
space in the superblock filled with 0xff, and the super block check code
was trying to use some fields from the newer version of FFS before
fixing up the fields with the older UFS superblock.  I think this is now
fixed in -current (and may have been pulled up into the 1.4 release branch
and will be available in 1.4.2).

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant