Subject: Re: Netbooting DEC 3000/300X to install NetBSD 1.4.1
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, wes@mike.emerge.wm.edu>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/1999 10:19:01
> [ the usual no-floppy problems on the 3000's cranky SRM.old ]

Ok, follow Jon Lindgren's advice and you will get closer.

One of the NetBSD CD's might also solve your problem. I'm not sure if I've
tried a CD boot on a TC alpha recently,  so no promises,  but I'm pretty
I sure I tested this a while back. They are all bootable on alpha.

The old CD reader won't read my CD-RW test masters. I don't mind the $1
CD-R cost, but there is a Murphy's law problem with burning CD-R test
masters.  If you burn a CD-RW, your CD release will be perfect and you will
have to reburn the exact same thing on CD-R to mail off to the pressing
plant.  But..  if I burn a CD-R first, by Murphy's law it won't work and
I will have to fix something. At that point, if I do a CD-RW...

This is probably related to the Murphy's law application where, if you test
your newly assembled system before screwing the case on, it will work,
otherwise, it has no chance.

I can try a CD on a 3000 on Monday or Tuesday when I return from a short
Y2K vacation. (Mmm, Mammoth Lakes, California .. no, I'm not really heading
for the hills to flee the collapse of urban civilization ... that's just
a coincidence, really ...  :-)

	ross