Subject: RE: compat_osf1 troubles with 1.4.1
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/1999 05:54:19
cgd@netbsd.org wrote:
> hos exactly did you invoke ktrace and kdump?  As der Mouse noted, you
> should have seen at least one NAMI line in between the CALL and RET of
> execve() if you invoked ktrace and kdump with no special arguments.

It appears I did something wrong (not clear what, though) as Alan's later
ktrace did show the NAMI line for the /sbin/loader.  I think the only
argument I might have had for ktrace was -i.

> Also, as Havard Eidnes noted, you'll need the OSF/1 /sbin/loader and
> any needed shared libraries (installed under /emul/osf1) in order to
> run dynamically linked OSF/1 binaries.

And, in the end, this was the info I needed.  I trust that this is on the
new 1.4.2 man page, since right now I can't find any reference to the loader
and the libraries being required -- or where to get them.  I really should
be able to find this out without bothering the entire mailing list.  Or
maybe this should be a FAQ item?

Now, as it happens, one of the AlphaStations I upgraded to 1.4.1 recently
was previously running an old version of Digital Unix, so I think I do have
those libraries -- my CD collection includes 3.2F, 3.2D and 3.2C.  Is one of
these versions OK to use?

The second follow-up question ... does anyone know whether there is
something unusual about the OSF/1 CD format?  I tried mounting the CDs on
NetBSD/Alpha, AIX and WinNT, and none of them would read them.  Is it not
ISO 9660?

-----
Tom Haapanen
tomh@metrics.com