Subject: Bootable Alpha CDs
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/20/1999 15:36:21
I've been using NetBSD/Alpha for a while, and I love it.

There are a couple of things that I have been wondering about that
I havn't had a chance to ask about.

First, how does one go about making a bootable NetBSD/Alpha CD?
(bootable from SRM that is)

Do I need to put a UFS image of a fs on a CD?

Second, what actually goes on during the boot process on a NetBSD/Alpha
system?  (again assuming SRM)  I am looking for a list of steps such as:

SRM reads 1st sector of boot device
SRM executes this sector
This boot code loads a second stage boot loader from a UFS file system
This second stage boot loader reads the kernel specified by SRM

Thanks in advance

Nick Maniscalco
nm@vt.edu