Subject: Re: BIOS boot floppy
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/15/1999 21:08:22
Found it.  It's an SRM boot disk (mkboot fwupdate.exe), ARC 5.69 right from
the website at  ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/alphant/abpw433v569.zip.
(Dunno why this didn't work with the ARC 5.70 firmware update...)  File this
away for anyone else that manages to fry a Miata.

As far as the Multia goes, it would have to buzz the floppy in distress.  Get
mkboot from ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/utilities, and try
an fwupdate.exe for the platform at
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/.

Back to square one.  My thoughts are that DEC removed the SRM-switch
capability from the 500a ARC setup menu as of the earliest firware update I've
got, 5.3.  Is there a source for deprecated firmware, one that will allow me
to select SRM on this thing?

If I'm veering off-topic for port-alpha, please followup to comp.sys.dec.

dhop