Subject: protoming NetBSD for Digital fanatics
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/13/1999 13:47:56
Hello, all.

I've noticed a company selling old Digital hardwares is now promoting
Linux for its customers.

       http://www.matchcomputer.com/Match/news___events.html

It's nothing wrong to promote Linux/alpha for Digital customers who
invested Windows NT/alpha which is abandoned and orphaned, however, I
think there is plently of opptunities promoting NetBSD for the company
and its customers.

The site, formerly known www.usedec.com, is for IT professionals who
are responsible for keeping their Digitals up running.  The company
sells now hard-to-obtain 2nd handed equipments which are valuable for
people who are running Digitals.

NetBSD can make them happier.  It would revive their Digitals with new
breaths.  Although NetBSD lacks extensive supports for funcy
peripherals which made Digitals appealing to IT professionals, their
Digitals could run Internet Serivce with state-of-the-art networking
functionality.   OS emulation for ULTRIX/OSF1 would be bigplus.

I'm not sure how the company would respond, it's worth NetBSD project
sends information about availablity of NetBSD/vax,pmax,alpha.

I seldom read mailing lists other than port-pmax. If this topic was
covered already, please neglect this port.

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology