Subject: Re: More news on my video card trouble in Miata
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/10/1999 10:30:08
On Fri 10 Dec 1999 at 00:15:19 -0800, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> I've found S3 to be pretty cool about sending me old data books and CD's
> for their Trio and ViRGE series chips. Many of those come up after reset
> in a PCI-friendly state, but once the VGA BIOS runs, the card locks into
> icky legacy-compatible mode.

This card may do so too, in fact when I tried to use pcdisplay at isa, I
got a panic: pci_display_console: unconfigured device at 0/11/0, which
is indeed that card. First I forgot to remove the vga at isa* (and/or at
pci*, I don't quite remember), and I got panic: cia_swi2_mem_write_8 not
implemented. That sounds interesting although I'm not quite sure what it
means practically, and since pcdisplay is apparently not supposed to be
"at pci" it may mean nothing at all.

[multiheaded]

And when booting with 2 (different) vga cards installed, I got a machine
check.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)