Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, alpha@freebsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/04/1999 18:46:18
On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 05:36:53PM -0500, Greg Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 09:56:34AM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > As Andrew Gillham wrote ...
> > > Lord Isildur writes:
> > > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > Wasn't there a problem with the PALcode that ARC brings you?
> > (memory is dim here..)
>
> MILO provides its own PALcode.

I can't *believe* I'm having to say this again, for the Nth time in as many
months:

	The PALcode included in MILO has severe bugs.  You can't use
	it to run BSD, or OSF/1 for that matter.  It's remarkable that
	you can use it to run Linux, and sundry reports of Linux
	instability when run with MILO make me suspect that, in fact,
	you can't.

This is the PALcode from the DEC EBSDK, which is really, *really* old
and was worked-over to be built with a totally different toolchain than
the PALcode in production SRM.  Ross Harvey was on the verge of fixing
some of the more obnoxious bugs in it once but managed to obtain the
real SRM PALcode for the project he was working on, so he didn't.  You
can't run BSD with this PALcode, so you can't run BSD with MILO.  If you
want to waste a lot of your time and effort, it would be more
productive to waste it persuading DEC to release SRM for more platforms,
or to release the unmodified source code to a _current_ SRM, including
the PALcode.

Gee, it'd be nice if anyone would _remember_ this explanation for more
than a month this time.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"