Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/03/1999 17:52:32
I consider SRM to be the way to go, and i think instead the convoluted
hacks that things like MILO had to go through are the rsult of using the
ARC/ALphaBIOS _instead_ of using SRM. Now that Compaq has released SRMs
for so many more models and eliminated the need to buy the developer kit,
i see no reason to consider ARC anymore _at all_. It was a cheap second
best rigged up so that NT could work on Alphas, and I dont see why we need
to try to cater on NT's inadequacies and start using ARC/AlphaBIOS or the
workarounds to it like MILO. SRM is the 'high class' firmware, whatever,
it is available and is superior to ARC/AB. BSD has used SRM since the
beginning- why should we dilute that now, especially when some of the last
arguments for it have lost their bite?

just my $.02,
isildur

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> [...]

certainly, if anyone _needs_ to use BSD with MILO for some strange reason,
it'd be better to modify MILO than BSD.