Subject: Re: difference in booting 1.4.1 and -current
To: None <pooka@iki.fi, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/01/1999 14:02:35
> From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
>
> I tried to boot an AlphaStation 255/300 from the graphic console a while
> ago using 1.4.1 boot floppies. The boot process worked fine almost until
> the very end but froze totally after the attachment of mcclock. I didn't
> have a serial console anywhere handy.
>
> Veego suggested that I should try using a -current bootfloppy to see if
> the problem had been fixed there. Sure it did boot fine from the graphic
> console without tweaking any SRM settings.
>
> I would like to know if this change has been pulled up to the
> release-branch and will it therefore be available in 1.4.2? And if
> someone happens to know what the fix actually was, I wouldn't mind
> hearing about the either ;)

Good questions. I'm not sure what the change was either. A good next step
would be if someone could check out netbsd-1-4 (perhaps just from the anon
cvs tree) and build a 1.4.2-like install floppy for you. If it worked, we
could stop worrying about it, otherwise it would be necessary to find out
what the fix was.

> display info:
> vga0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: Digital Equipment TGA2 (rev. 0x22)

	ross