Subject: S3 86C864-1 ("Vision864") (VGA prehistoric) at pci1 dev 10 function 0 not configured
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/28/1999 16:28:47
With my Personal Workstation 433au (Miata), the video card is not
configured by either the SRM or NetBSD 1.4.1, if I put it in a 32-bit
slot.  The machine was delivered with this card in the 64-bit slot, and
has a DEC type number on it.

Following are extracts from the boot messages:

In a 32-bit slot:
S3 86C864-1 ("Vision864") (VGA prehistoric) at pci1 dev 10 function 0 not configured

In a 64-bit slot:
vga0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: S3 86C864-1 ("Vision864") (rev. 0x00)
wsdisplay0 at vga0

Extract from my config file:
vga*	at	pci? dev ? function ?		# PCI VGA Graphics
vga*	at	isa?				# ISA (EISA: XXX) VGA

The second line looks unnecessary, but would not hurt either, would it?

Note that the card is not usable in a 64-bit slot either, since moderate
to heavy display activity (such as virtual console switching, or catting
INSTALL.more) will put lots of garbage on the screen, or may even hang
or reboot the machine.  If this persists in -current, I will file a pr
about it.

If I feel like moving the video card again, I might check this
configuration problem with -current as well.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)