Subject: RE: XFree86 SVGA Server
To: port-alpha <>
From: Andrew van der Stock <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/22/1999 09:13:13
I'm the one who said rather rash things about starting work on it. Dan has
got my Alpha up and running very nicely and proven that it has staying
power. I just need another (longish) ethernet cable so we can all work
comfortably in my computer room.

I now have 3.9.16d but I need to start getting that sucker to compile. I
will be going for the modular driver rather than using the fbdev stuff as
the modular Xservers are more common right now. fbdev would be a good thing
to get stuff like tga bootstrapped using a more modern architecture than the
old X server. Either way, you should see speed increases.

Simon Burge noted that he had a set of patches to allow inb()/outb(); these
will be necessary until the cards are placed in MMIO mode. Simon, how are
these going?