Subject: Re: Some assembly required (postgresql & test-and-set)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/21/1999 20:41:07
> Hi, folks.  I'm looking for someone who has some Alpha assembly
> knowledge to help me with a question that's come up in getting
> PostgreSQL to run on NetBSD/alpha.

To partially answer my own question, it seems that the test-and-set code
is OK--at least as far as I can tell in my reading of the Alpha Arch.
documentation and the tas() code.  However, I'm still seeing a condition
where I get a "stuck" spinlock in the postgres code when it appears that
there is no good reason for seeing that.

Does anyone know why this might not be working?  Has someone else been
down this alley before?  Does anyone know why postgres is not enabled
on alpha, except for the reasons in the Makefile (which appear to be
obsolete)?

Thanks,
-allen