Subject: Re: XFree86 SVGA Server
To: David Hopper <dhop@globalesi.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/19/1999 19:31:08
On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:43:04 GMT
 David Hopper <dhop@globalesi.com> wrote:

 > Starting from ground zero wrt. X as NetBSD-Alpha is, I wonder if it=20
 > isn't a better tack to try to port the experimental unified=20
 > framebuffer architecture from Linux  **dodges a pelting hail of rocks=20
 > and garbage**=20

Actually, NetBSD already has a unified framebuffer architecture.

 > Unifying the console with X seems like the ultimate statement of=20
 > elegance in a modern OS...  Remember the NeXT?  Even in console mode=20
 > the thing was beautiful...

Unifying the console with X is actually a bad idea :-)  But, Roland
Dowdeswell and I have been kicking some ideas around for providing
some cool graphics primitives to userland which would enable us to
have a single X server for ALL NetBSD platforms...