Subject: Re: SRM 3.5-72
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/15/1999 07:08:00
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> I borrowed a multia and it already had SRM in it:
>
> version		BL3 X3.5-72 Nov 30 1994 18:22:35
>
> I haven't tried booting NetBSD on it yet (need to make a cannon fodder boot
> disk first), but in the meantime I was wondering if there was any compelling
> reason why I should upgrade the firmware ?

Unless anyone else knows a reason, I believe the general thought is "don't
fix what ain't broke."  I know some later versions can be rather
tempermental, so if it works it's usually better to let it lay.

On the other hand, until I upgraded my multia's srm, I couldn't boot from
floppy (it kept dying with floppy read errors)... hopefully you'll be OK.

-Jon Lindgren
 "Xyzzy!  You're a duck!"
 jlindgren@espus.com, yubyub@yubyub.net