Subject: Re: Floppy and EB164's
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/10/1999 02:08:03
    Date:        Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:56:55 +1100
    From:        Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>

  | I have seen that too - once I find a monitor and keyboard, I will have a go
  | as well, I think I have located a 3.7 firmware set (CD).

I tried that one - got verification error loading it (and being a bit dumb,
instead of just using the update prog tat was running to try loading a
different SRM version instead, I powered off ... even the failsafe boot
for doing just firmware update doesn't work on that motherboard now).

So, I switched to another motherboard, this one had never been updated
from ARC version whatever came with it - I didn't try 3.7 again, but found
a 4.9 (or maybe 5.0 - it is version 5.0 CD, but claims to be 4.9 SRM for
the pc164).   Switched to that one, then upgraded that to 5.5.

With that sequence I am not getting the isacfg table corrupt messages
any more, but I am also not getting nvram updates saved (they get lost
as they ever did).   I also can't add anything to the isacfg table
(I don't have a de205, but the add_de205 command runs OK, but nothing
gets added to the isacfg table).   Weird...   I might try the downgrade
and upgrade sequence and see if that helps.

If anyone has any idea how to recover from truly trashed flash (I did do
the jumber trick for failsafe boot) I'd appreciate hearing of it.  Someday
I might want (or need) to use the currently dead motherboard...   It does
nothing, no beeps, never enables video (monitor stays in "no signal" state),
sends nothing to serial port...

Sigh.

kre