Subject: Re: Floppy and EB164's
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/04/1999 15:55:53
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> Andrew Gillham writes:
>  > Andrew van der Stock writes:
>  > > * and finally getting the SRM to remember things between boots
>  >
>  > I'm assuming this is the battery, mine does the same thing.  If I'm
>  > confused, I'd love to hear the fix.. :)
>
> No, it's apparently a bug in this SRM.  I haven't yet followed up
> carefully to find out exactly which versions are known good and bad,
> but it's known that stepping down a rev or two fixes this problem.

  I had this problem on my PC164.  I tried SRM 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5 with no
luck.  On my PC164, every time the SRM initialized (power on, init
command), it would get an ISA table corrupt error, which would wipe out
the saved environment.  I found a 4.9 version of SRM, and after "updating"
to that, the ISA table corrupt error went away, and the SRM settings
didn't disappear.  That version wouldn't boot off the IDE driver though,
so I went back to 5.4 (losing settings wasn't as bad as not being able
to boot :-)).  After all that, I no longer got the ISA table corrupt
messages and the SRM would remember the settings through a reset or init.
It does appear to erase them with the "isacfg -init" command.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant