Subject: RE: TGA and NetBSD/alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/25/1999 18:34:45
Aha, there were boiling posts while I was hacking around SFB ASIC of sfb.c.

 [ ... Ross Harvey refered to TGA performance degradation of NetBSD/alpha ... ]

>> From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
>> :::
>> Boy, I wasn't kidding when I said X under 1.4 was slow compared to
>> 1.3.3. :=)  Geez, 1.3.3 is 52 times faster at scrolling text, 40 times
>> faster at xor'ing, and 56 times faster at line segments.
>> :::
>
> OK, I've found the problem (lurking in the kernel) and should have it fixed
> RSN.
>
> Thanks very much for a good report, and thanks to RC for a perfect test case.

Now, is it possible to mmap the whole framebuffer segment in a single
TLB?  Alpha processor allows to have 'fat TLBs' as MIPS R4000.  It
would bring big saving for Xserver, won't it?

Tohru Nishimura
Nara Institute of Science and Technology