Subject: Re: XFree86 on NetBSD/alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/22/1999 13:55:59
On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 05:56:05PM +1000, Andrew van der Stock wrote:
> The other stuff is we definitely want to pursue DRI and the other 3D stuff.
> Alphas kick ass when it comes to floating point, let's get the platform one
> of choice for engineering work. If we stick to the old servers, you will not
> get the free rides that are coming in XFree86 4.0

I agree. While it's a good choice to stick to our own servers because
they're more "sane" and currently faster on one side, it would be dangerous
to consider XFree to be "icky PeeCee stuff", and ignore it for the alpha.
It has quite a bit of momentum behind it. Before you know it, it will
provide good support for a range of hardware on the alpha, but on
platforms other than NetBSD. At which point nobody will care about
NetBSD being the first free OS on the alpha, or about how sane our
own X server code is.

In other words: it should at least be made certain that XFree on
the alpha will support NetBSD.

- Frank