Subject: Re: XFree86 on NetBSD/alpha
To: None <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org, netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/21/1999 14:12:24
> From: "R. C. Dowdeswell" <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
>

> On 940535890 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> >
> >So it is better to start with 3.9.x and forget about the 3.3.x tree.
> >The 3.9.x has allready a some code for the tga cards.
>
> Yeah, although I did have a look at said code -- it doesn't really
> look like there is a lot of acceleration in there.  (Only solid
> fills).  I've been planning to put my accelerations in XF86 when
> we move over to it.

I recommend that we stick with our server for TGA.

XFree86 should be used only for the things we share with their PeeCee users..
that is .. everything else.

Ours requires no configuration, works correctly with wscons, and is already
faster, I think, and gaining more relative speed slowly but steadily.

NetBSD goes to the trouble of maintaining (Hi Bernd!) the xsrc module in
a large part so we can do things like this. I don't see a reason to abandon
the one part of our X strategy that has worked in the past. :-)

	ross.harvey@computer.org