Subject: Re: XFree86 on NetBSD/alpha
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/21/1999 17:11:35
Jason Thorpe writes:

> For TGA, we should not use the current XF86 code.  We should use our
> Sane Framebuffer Model when possible, and probably change XalphaNetBSD
> to be XdecNetBSD, because it could work w/ e.g. SFB/SFB+, too.
>
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>

And are there any ways to speed it up?  It seems like the 1.2 or 1.3
server was faster.  It seems like the X server runs at about the
same speed as the normal wscons text. (i.e. ascii meets the tar pit)

Well, I suppose I'm being a bit harsh, and I haven't tested it in
about 1.5 months, so things may be better now. :-)  It seems like a
36Mhz SS10 with a CG6 should be slower than a 166Mhz Multia with TGA,
but that's definitely not the case. :(

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.