Subject: Unhappy 3000/400 serial console?
To: None <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
Date: 10/20/1999 22:34:48
I picked up a 3000/400 a few weeks ago and have been having a terrible
time getting it to do anything useful. It powers up, the LED's blink
in a reasonable fashion, but I can not for the life of me get any
response out of the serial port. Here's my recap of reality, so that
my glaring error can be pointed out:
- The console serial port is the MMJ with the printer/arrow icon
- The MMJ is connected to a flat, straight-wired RJ12 cable with the
tabs filed off.
- The cable conects either to a home-wired RJ12-DB9 (with RX- grounded
and TX- floating) or an official-looking Digital MMJ-DB25 adapter.
- The serial cable is connected to my laptop.
- No keyboard is attached. No framebuffers are installed.
- The experiment has been tried with the S3 switch (underneath the
MMJ) in both positions.
In this configuration, I don't see *anything* out of the serial
port. My RS-232 minitester doesn't show any signals at any time from
that side, and even looking with my scope didn't see anything on the
TX+/TX- pair during the blinkeylight sequence.
Ideas? It's very frustrating not to be able to use what seems like a
totally decent box....