Subject: Re: tga graphic cards
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1999 11:10:37
On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:13:46 +0930 (CST)
 Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au> wrote:

 > Yes, DU4 and True64 Unix work with the Diamond Stealth 64 and similar
 > cards. I consider 1024x768x16 to be a hires mode which performed quite
 > well on my system.

That's not the same as going down to Fry's, buying a "random" PCI VGA
card, plugging it in, and having it working.

DU works with a very small well-defined set of PCI VGA devices, and it
has a kernel driver for each one it supports.

If it worked with a "random" board you happen to have, you're lucky that
it has one of the DU supported chipsets.

 > Hold your horses.... You may recall my initial posting was an attempt
 > to find a supplier for a TGA 8 plane card  (P/N PBXGA-AA). I didn't ask
 > nor expected anyone to write a VGA-xserver, as I knew to well that
 > this will never happen. The resulting discussion started spontaneously,

If it never happens, then it's the fault of the user community who's
not willing to do the work.

 > obviously sparked by my email. The xserver appears to be the tickle
 > point in the NetBSD-alpha community... ;)

...and those who actually care about having it work (my Alphas are largely
headless, too, because they are servers, so I have no real vested interest
in having it work) should put forth the effort to make it happen.