Subject: Re: tga graphic cards
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1999 12:05:17
At 04:13 PM 10/16/99 +0930, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
>Chris G. Demetriou wrote
>>
>> Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au> writes:
>> > Personally, I would rather have a working kludge than nothing at all.
>> > I fail to see why NetBSD-alpha takes a special status when compared with
>> > Linux, FreeBSD or Digital Unix, all platforms which support standard
>> > pci-vga. I installed RH-Linux und DEC Tru64 Unix just to verify
>> > that it actually runs on my system with a Diamond Stealth 64.
>>
>> Will Tru64 actually work with "any" random VGA card in high-res mode?
>> Can it run XF86?  I don't know.

Tru64 UNIX will support most/all pci video cards in VGA mode (Tru64 UNIX
calls this 640x480 16 colors).

VERY FEW pci video cards work in anything better.  An S3 Trio64/V+ will
work at 1024x768 256 colors, but an S3 Trio64/V2 will not work at anything
other than 'VGA.'

>> But if those aren't the case, then you indeed _are_ asking for
>> something that XF86 can't do.  Last I saw, Digital UNIX used a sane
>> framebuffer model, and that pretty much precludes using XF86 + random
>> VGA cards in high-res modes.
>
>Yes, DU4 and True64 Unix work with the Diamond Stealth 64 and similar
>cards. I consider 1024x768x16 to be a hires mode which performed quite
>well on my system.

If you look thru the headers on a Tru64 system you can get an idea of
what video cards are supported.  Look for the places where the video
card 'types' are defined and you wont see many options.

>Hold your horses.... You may recall my initial posting was an attempt
>to find a supplier for a TGA 8 plane card  (P/N PBXGA-AA). I didn't ask
>nor expected anyone to write a VGA-xserver, as I knew to well that
>this will never happen. The resulting discussion started spontaneously,
>obviously sparked by my email. The xserver appears to be the tickle
>point in the NetBSD-alpha community... ;)

I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to asking for things from the
NetBSD project.  I bet it gets old fast for the real developers to
constantly hear people asking for the same thing.

>BTW: There was only one privat reply which matched the topic of my
>initial request. At least, someone got it right...
>
>cheerio Berndt

Nick