Subject: Re: Multia boot problems.
To: None <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
From: Just another Joe <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1999 07:30:37
On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 dbsaint@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I've recently been playing with my multia and have discovered that if I pop a
> boot disk in at the srm prompt and run:

> It runs up till the point where it says:
>
> Boot flags:

> 5479304
>

> and it just sits there doubling as a heater.
> ANyone familiar with what this is caused by ?
> Mind you I've tried the 1.4 & 1.4.1 install diskettes.
>
> cheers
>
> Tony Hernandez

This sounds like what was occurring to my Multia until I upgraded the firmware.
You can get the latest firmware at:
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/interim/udb/

If you haven't already, you may want to read:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html

BTW, one thing I did that really helped was to replace the fan. I put a
23.3CFM fan in mine and now it happily doubles as a mailserver/heat pump.

-Joe