Subject: Trouble booting cdhdtape
To: 'port-alpha@netbsd.org' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Stephens, David <stephend@pgocm2.ksc.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/15/1999 09:55:51
(...hopefully, this is the correct method of posting to the mailing list!)

I'm trying to install on a DEC 3000-400. I've downloaded the cdhdtape image,
copied it to a hard disk,
and use this for a boot command from SRM:
>>> boot -fi cdhdtape dkb100
The boot fails with this message
? T_ERR_SCSI - CHECK_BOOTBLOCK
	84 FAIL
I've turned off the boot_osflags (vs. the setting of '0,0' for VMS boot).
I'm stumped. Is there some parameter to the boot command that I am missing?
BTW, the cdhdtape image was ftp'ed in binary mode - correct? I've also tried
every command syntax I can think of for the boot command, including:
>>> boot -fi "/cdhdtape" dkb100
>>> boot -fi "cdhdtape" dkb100
>>> boot -fi "cdhdtape." dkb100
etc. etc. etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. I like the idea of a free Unix for this
old workhorse.

David Stephens
VMS Systems Administration
PDMS Computer Systems Support