Subject: Re: tga graphic cards
To: None <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/14/1999 10:21:23

See: http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/

> > At this point, I think we really must go with (2). (BTW, note that a
> > partial-(2) has become easier recently, as BWX-capable alphas are a larger
> > fraction of our user base these days.)
>
> This is 21164 and up, right?

No, bwx came in at the halfway point at the ev5 -> ev56 step, aka as the
21164 -> 21164a step.

> > Hope this helps. I'll volunteer to help with the kernel work and with any
> > needed alpha assembly or xf86-assembly-conversion.
>
> I've not looked at alpha much, but if anything I'm more of a MIPS person
> so I'll probably find alpha easier to understand that x86 :-)

Having worked with both alpha and mips, all I can say is "at least alpha
is nicely documented".  Developers should get the Alpha Architecture Reference
Manual. (Not the handbook.)  See:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/dec-docs/index.html#alpha-arch+sw

You might try to get the brown/red third edition, though, and not the green
second edition, but they aren't too different.

	ross.harvey@computer.org